Life is all about balance. Too much time spent on the work side might burn you out. Too much time pleasure seeking and you might be singing for your supper because cash flow has ground to a halt. The key is to have one complement the other for a more holistic approach to your business – including those essential business trips away from home.
So here are some tips to make sure your next business trip hits all the high notes on both sides of the business/pleasure ledger:
- Plan ahead and have a daily schedule. Make sure you allow time for a punctual arrival as well as allowing contingency for meetings to run over. It is also important to keep on top of work back at the office otherwise it will cut into your important ‘me’ time at night.
- Visit as many existing clients and new prospects as possible with the time available. To really make the trip count and to maximize the chances of a successful ‘tour of duty,’ meet with existing clients to drive incremental work as well as new prospects to fill the pipeline.
- Take clear notes and document all meetings immediately so that vital information remains fresh. When moving between meetings, it’s easy for decisions and actions to be forgotten or confused. Keep a simple log of the conversation and important decisions for future reference.
- If you can, plan meetings at a neutral venue such as a café, restaurant or hotel. Creating a relaxed atmosphere will help ‘break the ice’ and get the meeting off to a positive start.
- Book your accommodation and rental car in advance. Often this will result in not only saving money but it also takes the stress out of last minute surprises. When selecting accommodation try and mix it up so you can experience new areas. Car rental can be a cost effective and convenient way to ensure not only you arrive on time but you have a mobile office and reliable transport at your disposal at all times.
- Make sure it’s not all work and no play. Why not try and stay away for the weekend and combine that business trip with a sporting event, theatre show or night on the town. That might just charge your batteries in preparation for the coming week!
Redspot Car Rentals can help out with its all-inclusive Business Club package, which includes discounted rental rates and the promise of nothing hidden, ever. Click here for more details.
Enjoy your next business trip! If it doesn’t go as well as you planned, at least you’ll have some fond memories if you get the pleasure part right…