Renting a car can be very confusing, especially for those who have never rented one before. You come across so many different options, alternatives and worst of all the confusing terms you’ve never heard of before, I mean, what does ‘CDW’ even mean?? Well I’m going to try my best to simplify this for you.
Renting a car is like an onion, only by peeling the layers do we find exactly what product you’re going to get in the end. You have the options of which car size is suitable for you? Which liability should you pay for? How many kilometres will you need? Will you need to take out the e-Tag if you’re travelling on toll roads? These questions and so many more can make renting a car confusing. So here is the easiest way to see it:
Which car size is suitable for you?
- Know how many people will be travelling with you and how much luggage they have.
- A word of advice: Don’t base your decision on the cost, because the price does not vary significantly between the car sizes. Well at least with Redspot Car Rentals it doesn’t.
Which liability should you take?
- Let’s start with the confusing term: “Collision Damage Liability (CDL)”. This is another term for car hire damage liability. For those who don’t understand how this works, in its simplest form it means that if you damage the vehicle in any way, even if it’s not your fault you are liable to pay for any repair costs including any third party repair costs (if you are at fault) up to the agreed car hire liability you elect at the beginning of the rental.
- Many people go with a higher liability – typically $3,300 as it is the cheaper option, however if the car is damaged in any way, you are liable to pay that full amount until all repair costs, including any 3rd party costs are settled, and any remaining costs reimbursed.
- Alternatively many take out a $ZERO liability, as they prefer the feeling of security and knowing they won’t be charged anything in case of an accident.
- Either way, understand what liability you’re getting in your quoted price.
Do you need additional extras?
- If you are renting a car in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane, have a think about whether you will be driving along the tolls roads. If you are, then make sure to take out the toll cover which will allow you to travel on the toll roads as much as you want. If you don’t take out the toll road extra and do drive through one, you will be stuck with annoying fees you really don’t want. For more information on where the toll roads are, visit our toll road page.
- Do you need to hire a GPS? We don’t want you to get lost so you have the option of paying a small fee to have a GPS included in your package or you can bring your own if you have one at home.
Everyone’s car rental needs and wants will be different as they take on their journeys. So don’t freak out if you don’t understand a particular aspect or the whole process – because we’re here to help!
Call our central reservations team on 1300 66 88 10 for any enquiries you may have, or send them an email at [email protected]